Are you planning on going to any concerts or maybe catching a game this fall? The best part of these events are the tailgating parties with your friends. It is possible to bring a healthy snack alternative with you to share. These mini peppers make the perfect scoop for the nacho ground turkey to pop in your mouth. Make them as hot as you’d like by using hot salsa and adding more jalapeños.
Bell Pepper Turkey Nachos
$1.33 per serving
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 6 thinly sliced green onions
- 1 jalapeño finely chopped and seeds removed
- 1 lb. fat free ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
- 1 bag of mini peppers
- 3/4 cup of low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 1/2 large tomato diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Heat oil and add garlic, jalapeño and the white parts of the green onions. Cook and stir for about a minute.
- Add ground turkey and chili powder and cumin. Cook completely.
- Remove from heat and stir in the salsa.
- Slice the ends off the mini peppers and slice length-wise in two. Remove the seeds and ribs.
- Press each half open so they are as flat as possible without breaking.
- Arrange on a large baking sheet.
- Spoon nacho mixture evenly into each pepper.
- Sprinkle with black olives and shredded cheese.
- Bake nachos for 7 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and top with tomatoes, cilantro and the remaining green onions.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Guest post written by Anne-Marie Kovacs & Audrey van Petegem of The Succulent Wife. This material is provided for informational use only. You should consult with your doctor