Better for You Chicken N’ Dumplings
Recipe courtesy of Leslie Green of The Hungry Housewife.
1 5-6 lb whole chicken, cut into 8ths*, reserve the bag of giblets
16 cups Water
1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
2 bay leaves
2 garlic cloves, whole
½ of a large onion, very rough chop
3 Tablespoons Mrs. Dash Chicken Flavored
1 26oz box unsalted chicken STOCK
1/2 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 large Carrots, finely chopped
2 stalks Celery, Finely Chopped
2 cups Heart Smart Bisquick
1 cup White Flour
1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
2 tablespoons dried parsley
¼ teaspoon course Kosher salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1½ cups water
Flour for dusting
1. In a large stockpot, add the chicken, contents of bag in the
chicken(heart,neck,liver,etc.) water, peppercorns, bay leaves, garlic cloves,
onion, Mrs. Dash and chicken stock.
2. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 1 to ½ hours or until
the chicken is no longer pink.
3. Remove chicken and allow to cool until cool enough to handle.
4. Remove the giblets, peppercorns, bay leaves, garlic cloves onion(optional)
5. Bring the stock back to a boil.
6. Add the extra virgin olive oil to a medium skillet and cook the carrots and
celery for about 5 minutes. Add to boiling stock.
1. In a large bowl, mix together the Bisquick, flour, parsley, salt and pepper
2. Add 1 cup of water and mix. Add the additional water in ¼ cup increments
until a dough can be formed. You might not have to use the entire 1½ cups
or it might take you a tad bit more.
3. Turn dough out onto a nicely floured surface.
4. Kneed the dough for about 15 seconds.
5. Re-flour the surface and roll the dough out to an ⅛” thickness. (The dough
will puff up when added to the stock, so it needs to be pretty thin)
6. Flour the top of the rolled out dough and with a pizza cutter or knife, cut the
dough into dumpling strips, about ½” x ½”..this does not have to be perfect.
7. In small batches, carefully add the dumpling into the boiling stock.
8. Once all of the dumplings are added, boil for 10 minutes.
9. Thinly shred the chicken and add back into the dumpling and broth
10. Cook for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
* The chicken and dumpling will thicken upon standing.
* You can ask your butcher to cut your chicken into 8 pieces.