We’ve been talking a lot about our Recipe Refresh Challengeover the past week. We can’t help ourselves — we had so much fun meeting food bloggers from around the country and seeing them in action in the kitchen!
We were honored to have the following bloggers join us in Chicago:
· Leslie of The Hungry Housewife
· Liz of The Lemon Bowl
· Marla of Family Fresh Cooking
· Meredith of In Sock Monkey Slippers
· Paula of Bell’ Alimento
· Robin Sue of Big Red Kitchen
1. We gave the bloggers a set budget and time to shop for their ingredients. We asked them to shop for healthy foods to “makeover” a traditional comfort food recipe.
2. Then we divided the bloggers into two teams of three – Team Green and Team Orange – for a “Lightning Round” challenge. We unveiled a table of pantry items and challenged the teams to make a healthy after-school snack in 30 minutes or less. The winning snack was a healthy apple pie parfait.
3. The final part of the Recipe Refresh Challenge was an hour-long, individual dinner challenge. The bloggers had to incorporate five ingredients that qualify for the Great For You™ icon, including at least one secret ingredient that was unveiled on site: raisins, orange juice and pears. You should have seen them get to work! There was a flurry of activity in the kitchen and everything smelled delicious.
Our distinguished judging panel included Christopher Koetke, Vice President of Chicago’s Kendall College School of Culinary Arts; Liz Weiss, an award-winning broadcast journalist, registered dietician and one half of the Meal Makeover Moms; Lisa Sutherland, PhD, President and Principal, LA Sutherland Group, and Adjunct Professor, Dartmouth College; and Dr. Thomas Van Gilder, National Medical Director for HumanaVitality and all wellness lines of business. They had the distinct honor and very difficult job of choosing who would win the Challenge.
At the end of the Challenge, the judges declared Robin Sue of Big Red Kitchen as the top winner. Get the recipe for her Fork & Knife Pizza Burgers with Garlic Parmesan Oven “Fries” and Italian Coleslaw.
HumanaVitality is not an insurance product.